eCommerce SEO checklist – best practices for your eStore
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and is the use of various strategies, techniques, and tactics to get a high-ranking placement in search results. The primary purpose of SEO is to increase the number of people who visit a website. SEO acts like a map for users to get to your website. You have to communicate to the search engines in a way that they will be able to avail your website for the relevant searches. To do this and get the best out of your website, you need to do a few things:
For instance, you need to ensure that your website has content relevant to what searchers are looking for. Your website should also be quick to respond and have no problem its functionality and the information on your website should be of high quality. This means that the content is likely to be linked to and other sites will be able to use your website as a reference point.
- To get SEO on your website, there is no need to overuse your keywords on your pages or buy links. Your website should also make it easy for users to get around which will lower your bounce rate.
- When considering which keywords to use, try to be consistent with the keywords on your website. Avoid using keywords that have no relation to the content on your website.
- Have unique titles for each page and do not make them overly long – short but descriptive is best.
- Ensure that you have Meta description tags. For example <meta tag> ‘Brandon’s baseball cards’. The tag is in such a way that the user can access the website easily by using simple names like baseball cards etc. This is useful as they might be used as descriptions for your web pages.
- You should also summarize your website to assist users in knowing what they will find when they visit it. For example <meta tag>, Brandon’s Baseball Cards <meta description> Brandon’s Baseball Cards have a wide selection of the rarest vintage and custom-made cards in the world.
- Make it easy for visitors to share your website and its content via social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- When you use social media platforms, be consistent with your keywords – this help users to know what to search for as well as help build your brand.
- Ensure that your domain name is simple to understand. Do not use too many technical terms as users will not be attracted to look at complicated domain names. Also, ensure that your URL is displayed in the search results.
- It is also important to optimize on other media forums like Smartphones and tablets. This will ensure that it is not only people with access to computers who can get access to your website. Some search engines, Google is one, have indicated that websites which are not responsive will be deprioritised in search results.
- Consider using forms of content which get a higher ranking. For example, videos rank faster than documents.
- Always work to ensure that your website is up to date with the latest information. People like fresh content and you can guarantee that users will be more inclined to look at your website if they can see that it has had new things added.